PLEASE NOTE: CENTIPEDES ORDERED FROM OUR SITE AFTER JAN 1, 2019 DO NOT NEED THIS FIRMWARE UPDATE KIT
You will need to have your Firmware Update Kit in order to make this update. If you have not ordered one yet, please go here: https://newwavetoys.com/products/centipede-fw-update
Thank you for requesting our Centipede Trak-Ball firmware Update Kit. Please follow these instructions to apply the patch to your Centipede machine.
- One (1) USB patch cable
- One (1) replacement QC sticker sheet
In addition to these items, you will need to have available:
- A Phillips head screwdriver
- A Windows-based PC running Windows 10 (preferred) or other recent and up-to-date Windows operating system
Download the Trak-Ball update file here and save to your desktop. Once you have it downloaded, double-click to decompress the firmware folder inside. Open this folder, but do not remove any of the files inside. The folder contents will look like this:
Once you have these items you can continue reading step-by-step instructions below, or watch this scintillating video:
- IMPORTANT: Unplug and power off the RepliCade.
- Lay the Centipede machine face down on a firm, flat surface. Tip: The flat foam insert from the package makes a good cushion for this.
- Two screws are located under the QC stickers. Peel the stickers off, unscrew the screws and remove the back panel. Tip: leave the top screw partially in the hole to use as leverage to remove the back panel. Slowly remove the back panel - do not yank it off or you may accidentally disconnect the speaker wire.
Tip: if you do accidentally unplug a component when removing the back cover, see image below for how the main components are connected.
- Locate the Trak-ball connector on the board (see picture).
- Firmly grab hold of the cable plugged into the board and pull up to unplug it. Tip: a quick tug will break the glue seal and free the cable. The result should look like this:
NOTE: The socket piece of the plug may come off the board leaving four bare prongs sticking up. If this happens, separate the socket piece from the end of the plug. Face the open side of the socket to the left, align the four holes on the bottom of the socket with the prongs, and gently slide it back onto the board. Press down slowly but firmly until the socket is fully seated against the board and continue to the next step.
- Plug the USB patch cable into your PC. Connect the Trak-Ball cable to the four-prong plastic end of the USB cable. (See picture) Tip: DO NOT try to plug the USB cable directly into the empty socket on the board.
- Check to see if you have connected the cables correctly by spinning the Trak-ball around. You should see the cursor on your PC move around. If it does not move, check the cable connections and try again.
- On your PC, double click the ZXW_FW_Update_Tool.exe.
- Now click the “UpdateFW” button to install the new Trak-Ball software.
- After 20-30 seconds, the process will complete and the “Upgrade Success” message will appear.
- Unplug the Trak-Ball cable from the USB cable and plug it back into the board. Be sure that the plug is fully seated in the socket. Tip: sometimes the red glue will prevent the plug from seating all the way. You may need to remove some of the glue before reconnecting.
Tip: Be sure that the opposite end of the USB cable is completely seated as well. It may have come loose from the handling
- Replace the back cover of the machine. Tip: fit the bottom of the panel back in first, then press the top in until flush.
- Before replacing the screws, plug the machine in, wait until the battery icon appears on the screen indicating it is charging. Let charge for at least 5 minutes, then power the machine on.
- IMPORTANT: Restart the machine one more time to ensure the Trak-ball has restarted.
- Start a game and test the Trak-Ball. If it is working, then replace the screws and place the QC stickers over the holes to hide the screws. If it does not work, power down the machine and let charge for at least 30 minutes, then try again. If it still does not work, remove the back and check to make sure the cable is fully plugged in.